We’ve been working at the Chicago Lights Urban Farm over in Cabrini Green, and it’s been a fantastic experience. Created through the collaboration of Chicago Lights and Growing Power, this urban farm offers excellent educational opportunities for kids from low-income areas, teaching them all about farming, from preparing soil to taking it to market.
- Next dates: Saturday, July 7th, 2012
- Time: 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM (orientation from 10:00 to 11:00 AM, first time only)
- Location: 444 W Chicago Ave (in the Cabrini Green neighborhood)
- Signup: You’ll need to fill out a volunteer form and attend a one-hour orientation on the first day you volunteer (from 10:00 to 11:00 AM)
- What to wear & bring: some clothes you don’t mind gettin’ dirty, a bottle of water, and a light snack is probably advisable
Also check out the related blog posts on urban farming, which are updated regularly.
If you’re interested in volunteering, drop us a line and come get your hands dirty for a great cause!